Getting Out of Debt
Frequent calls from debt collectors are a sign you have debt problem. If this is the case, it's time to get proactive. Talk to your creditors as soon as possible. You might be incurring additional charges while you wait. Or they might be willing to change your interest rate and save you money.
Here are some tips for talking with creditors:
- Be cooperative, not angry.
- Be prepared with a list of how much you owe.
- Have all your financial records together and with you.
- Listen. The debt collector might have ideas that will help you.
- If you are having trouble with a particular bill collector, ask if you can speak with a different person.